Friday, December 24, 2010

What I Played in 2010

Just like Notch!  Okay, I was planning on doing this anyway, but his blogpost got me to do it now. 


Bioshock 2
A return to Rapture, with more tightly polished gameplay but a far weaker story.  Things look up for Bioshock Ultimate though. 7/10

Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Fantastic classic Role-Playing Experience.  I played through both Origins and Awakening in one glorious go.  Highly anticipate the sequel.  9/10

WarioWare D.I.Y.
Amusing but not a lot of substance in terms of gameplay.  Spent 10 hours making a single good game and then didn't play anymore.  6/10

Mega Man 10
Easier than Mega Man 9 and not as inspired, but the classic gameplay is still enjoyable.  7/10

Alan Wake
Fantastic story, enjoyable gameplay, underrated.  If you haven't played this, go do it.  8.5/10

Red Dead Redemption
A rootin' tootin' good time in the old west.  Drags a bit in the middle but there's plenty to do.  8/10

Super Mario Galaxy 2
The cuts to narrative bothered me but the gameplay was better than ever.  GOTY probably.  9.5/10

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Not worth the hype.  The most generic JRPG I've played in a long time.  6/10

Limbo
Not the next Braid, but still very good.  Works the art style to its maximum potential.  8/10 

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
Didn't really care for the first one, glad I got a guest pass to test this before deciding if to buy.  A good RTS, I guess?  I just didn't care for it.  7/10

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game
It's Streets of Rage!  Okay not really, but it might as well be.  Pixely beat-em-up goodness.  7.5/10

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Not KHII Portable, but darn close and almost as fun.  The KH story starts to make sense now that we know some backstory.  8/10

Kirby's Epic Yarn
Cute, enjoyable enough, but really easy and not a true Kirby game.  7.8/10 

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1
Minor physics niggles aside, a return to form for Sonic.  It only took over 10 years!  7.5/10

Super Meat Boy
The finest casual game I have ever played.  Like IWBTG but available on consoles.  Enjoyably difficult. 8.5/10

Rock Band 3
Formula is the same, but the piano mixes it up.  Refinement at its best.  8/10

Golden Sun Dark Dawn
Worth the wait, but only just.  The soul of the series is here, but things are far too easy.  7/10

If I get to Kirby's Epic Yarn in the next six days I will add it. Done.  Otherwise, that's 2010 ladies and gentlemen.  We'll return you to the usual esoterica next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment