Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Long, Dubious Journey Begins

Today, having finally procured a Memory Stick which is capable of holding more than a single gigabyte of data, I decided to take the classic PS1 title Final Fantasy VII for a spin.  I've never played this "classic" but I've certainly heard about it, and really, what gamer hasn't?  It regularly vies with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the title of "Best Game Ever."  I personally didn't play Ocarina until about ten years after its 1997 release, following the logic put forward by one well-known webcomic. I do this regularly -- I didn't play the fantastic Max Payne until this year.  My experience with the Final Fantasy franchise proper (the numbered titles, not the spin-offs such as Tactics or Crystal Chronicles) is limited at best.  I've only played Final Fantasy III (not VI, I mean the Japanese III) and hated it.  I regularly cite it as the worst game I've ever played.  However, millions of people have purchased this game, and supposedly the series picked up after the third entry.  We will see, I thought.

Anyway, I decided now was the time to experience this so-called masterpiece.  I booted up the Playstation Network store and payed the meagre fee to download the game.  With an hour to download the game and another hour to install it, I went to eat my dinner, presuming that I would begin the adventure of Cloud Strife upon my return.  I also noticed that Final Fantasy VIII was available, which I decided to look into at a later date if VII was to my liking.

Fate had a trick, it seems.  I came back and realized with some amusement that I had accidentally downloaded and installed not Final Fantasy VII, but VIII instead.  Ha!  I had originally planned to start a small blog to chronicle my journey through the land of Gaia, but it seems that I will be playing a very different game instead.  In the upcoming days, I will post my thoughts about my travels, my opinions about the game from a modern perspective, and anything else about this game that I find amusing.  That is, unless I hate the game and decide to stop.  Then I'll never write again.  Anyway, enjoy I guess.  The first entry on the game itself will go up when I have time to actually start a JRPG and dedicate time to it -- likely by the end of the week.  Until then, you can go read something else, because I got nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment